Please be advised that there will be scheduled maintenance from Saturday, September 24th at 8:00 pm (EST) to Sunday, September 25th at 6:00 am (EST).
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
This site is experiencing ongoing technical difficulties which may result in slow response time, test disruption and/or loss of data.
We apologize for the inconvenience and are working towards a solution.
An update will be posted when available.
Getting Started with CLB-OSA
The CLB-OSA is an online self-assessment tool for people who are interested in assessing their English as a Second Language (ESL). These tests are based on the
Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) and will assess your language proficiency in reading and listening.
When you register to take the tests, you will be asked to provide some personal information which may be used for statistical purposes only.
Your personal information will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with any other parties.
Before you begin...
Once you begin each test you will be given 60 minutes to complete all of the sections. When you have completed the test, the computer will generate an approximate
benchmark range which will appear on your screen.
Please keep in mind that this result is unofficial. These results are for your information only and will not be
shared with any other parties.
Use this checklist to help you get ready for the tests.
- ✓ Make sure you are in a quiet space
- ✓ You have a headset ready for the listening test
- ✓ Give yourself enough time to complete the whole test because you cannot pause it
- ✓ Make sure you print or make the CLB-OSA Note Sheet for the listening test
- ✓ Answer the questions without assistance from friends or family
- ✓ Do not use a dictionary of any kind
- ✓ Complete the entire test for best results
- ✓ If you are not sure of an answer, make your best guess
- ✓ Make sure your computer is compatible with all our
Please ensure that your computer supports the selected language.